BGSA Scholarship Guidelines
The Billerica Girls Softball Association annually awards three scholarships to a Billerica resident who is graduating from high school this year. The awarding of these scholarships is based on the criteria listed below.
Three $1000 scholarships are presented in memory of Donald Donati, who served as President of the BGSA for nearly nine years. His philosophy for the league was simply to provide an athletic experience for girls to learn the game, make new friends and most of all to have fun. Don also served the youth of Billerica as a member of the Recreation Commission and as a founding member of the Yankee Doodle Committee.
The fourth scholarship, in the amount of $500, is presented in memory of Michael O’Brien, Jr. who enthusiastically supported the BGSA as an assistant coach and an umpire.
In their spirit of community involvement, the BGSA supports students who have played BGSA softball and have a desire to continue their education at a two or four year college.
I. Scholarship Criteria
- Must be a current resident of Billerica.
- Must be graduating from high school in June of the year of application.
- Must have participated in a minimum of six (6) years of Billerica Girls Softball Association; with at least two (2) years at the Senior League level.
- Must be attending a two (2) or four (4) year college in the September following high school graduation.
- Is not a daughter of a member of the present scholarship committee.
II. Selection Process
- Applicant's active involvement in BGSA.
- Community and/or public service.
- Intended career/area of study.
- Applicant's high school academic record.
- Recommendation of coach and teacher.
- High School attended or athletic ablility shall not be considered.
- The Scholarship Committee will select a primary recipient and a first and second alternate.
III. Rules for Applying
Click here for the scholarship application in pdf form.
- Application must be postmarked by the 1st Friday in April.
- Completed applications must include:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation: one from a BGSA coach (not a relative) and the other from a teacher.
- Copies of your high school transcript and activity sheet.
- An essay describing both your experience in BGSA and the impact this experience has made in your life.
- A signed and dated BGSA Scholarship application.
- Please send your application with the above documents to:
BGSA Annual Scholarship Award
C/O Ellen Ciarlone
Scholarship Committee Chairman
45 Maplewood Ave.
Billerica, MA 01821
- The award will be presented at the recipient's High School Awards Night.
- Scholarship money will be given to the recipient upon presentation of a paid second semester invoice from the institution of higher learning being attended.
- The winner will be notified by mail.
- In the event that the recipient does not comply with the terms and conditions of the scholarship the next alternate will receive the award.
Click here for the scholarship application in Microsoft Word form.